Friday, April 22, 2011

Red Basecoat down

Well, after a lot more work, I have coated the entire project with 2-3 coats of red spraypaint. I think ive gotten the hang of what I can and cant do with the paint.



This has taken another good 4 days to get to the point of having being pretty happy with the coats. The worst part is 95% of it wont be visible! The plan from here is finish sanding - I will give the whole lot a sand with 600 until most or all orange peel is gone (im ok leaving some orange peel where I know I will cover it with black), then 1200. Ill do this to give myself plenty of choice as to where to tape. When I decide on the locations, I will go over those parts with 2000 grit, dry, and then tape.

I did a good bit of work on the below peice - to the right is what it looked like all over after being worked on with 1200 grit. I was dissapointed with the result... So tonight I decided to give it a quick buff with some of the swirl remover stuff I had (not the rubbing compound Im going to get, but its something) juuust because I HAD to see if i was on the right track. Good news is, as you can see below, I am. I have buffed half of it to show the difference in colour and shine.

Bad news is, ill probly have to rough it back up to ensure the black spray paint sticks. But thats a bridge I will cross later!


Half Buffed, half left raw with 1200grit scratches in it. You guess which half is which.

Hopefuly tommorow I will have the whole lot sanded and taped ready for black paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment