Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Operation: Bored weekend start

Ok, so it started off after playing a MAME build for a bit after some emails from a mate. I thought "This is cool, I can get aboard this".
However, since MAME cases are dime a dozen, I got a bit meh about doing something that had been done more times than Ron Jeremy.

Also is the fact that I already have enough crap clutterin the unit and dammit if I was going to build something only to find it doesnt fit out doors again. I learnt the last time - I built my bed-base and very well glued it together to find id need to, of course, dissasemble it to get it downstairs whenever I move on from this place.

So i figured id make a bartop. However my only 'spare' monitor was a 19" LCD. Would make a dicky bartop, as it would work out almost like a square edge not a nice shape.
This got me thinking that I could fold away the LCD flat for storage, and "The Project" concept was born.

A foldup-into-a-suitcase portable mame case perfect for parties!

Has it been done before like this? Not that I can find on BYOAC forums or well, anywhere. Perhaps a few people starting something like it. Hopefully its semi-original. (Edit 31/8/9: One has been done similar by Bender @ BYOAC : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84113.0.)

So I poked my head into my random closet of joy and found all the computer mobos ive had lying around for ages.


Yep, a small selection of crap i have lying around

I started going through the mobos, only to find one made my PSU's asplode, another's CPU had fused to its heatsink and the third ran. The one that ran was a old Celeron I aquired (I bought a old case for a linux fileserver project and it came with Celeron bits I couldnt even give back to the guy)

So i hooked it up on the table, and it barely loaded XP. Fail #1.

I pitched all the mobos in the end after hours of frigging around with them. Of course, after i bought a micro-atx I found a decent mobo i had wedged in between my N64 and a Futurama poster.

Ended up with a micro-atx mobo for $100 (VIA MM3500 [Info bottom page]), some cheap-o RAM and a old IDE HDD (going to get a SATA one soon for it)



1x Great mobo

Installed XP fine, and got started.

No comments:

Post a Comment