Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vid #5: X36 controller


Yeap, I went and got a wireless Xbox 360 controller. I spend hours trying to get a ps3 one to work to no avail. Over HERE I did find a article however I gave up after 9 hours and only being able to get it working wired. Something wrong with ppjoy - I could get it connected within minutes however couldnt get button recognition working. Also, even if I did get it going it would require frigging around with messy screens all the time - not the go for a project like this

So a X36 controlller from Dick Smiths was the go (M$ page). Popped the wireless part inside the cardboard model and installed the drivers fine.

From my struggle with the PS3 controller, I had installed XPadder, which worked a dream for this. Using this simple program, I was able to bind buttons to all the parts of the controller except for the middle button. This worked a treat for platform games (the d-pad didnt seem as bad as lots of people say) and for FPS's.

I bound the left analogue and d-pad to arrows, and the right analogue to mouse. This meant I could set it up for fps quite well, and use it for old games with ease.

Additional: Had to throw in this analogy I used in a email discussing this very project. Seriously, why?

PS: Ive got this x36 controller for a specific purpose: A console. (Ive just realized this has turned into a console project than anything else) Why would anyone WANT TO use a controller on PC for FPS games? Its like allowing people to play golf with a putter on each shot because there used to playing minigolf. If you wanna play with the big toys you gotta use em properly!


1 comment:

  1. You fool! You could have been giving the people - okay, me - what they really want. Half Life!

    That said, the Josster has nothing on you.

    ReplyDelete