Thursday, April 23, 2009

Video capable

The Project is no longer Video challenged!



Radeon HD2400 card with mobile and cat paw for scale.

Yeah, its a ATI Radeon HD 2400. $60 bucks down at the computers store second hand. Just removed the mounting bracked and presto.

Works a charm for the project, AND has more grunt than my main PC. Polishes up Half Life quite nice.

So why did I change my mind?
  • Anaglyph games, like Quake (i.e. old awesome games with red-blue 3d glasses)
  • S-VIDEO out, means I can link it to a RCA output for TV's (and S-VIDEO). This means that I can fold it up, plug it into a TV, plug in surround sound, and turn it into a damn console using the wireless xbox360 controller!
  • Better performance/resolution/graphics out of old DOS games and some MAME games.
  • This card is small enough to fit neatly and doesnt obstruct airflow
  • Removes some load from the 1.5ghz CPU
  • $60 is cheap enough to warrant the cost


1 comment: